GCSE Food Preparation & Nutrition – Food Provenance.
How is your knowledge of the Eat Well Harvest?
You will all be familiar with the Eat Well Guide but the new GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition with its section on food provenance now covers how these food groups are grown, reared and processed – the Eat Well Harvest as it where!
“Is 5 A Day killing the planet?”
This Discovering Our Countryside teaching theme “Is 5 A Day killing the planet?” covers the Eat Well Harvest with its food stories on
- Cereals Food Story - starchy carbohydrates
- Beef Food Story - for the beans, pulses, fish, eggs and meat section
- Fresh Produce Food Story - for the fruit and veg section
- Dairy Food Story - for the dairy products section
“Man, with food has many problems man without food has only ONE!”
Equipped with the knowledge of these food stories pupils can then continue through the theme as it investigates the “problems” food miles, food waste, sustainability, food security etc that man with food faces.
This course is designed to help with the teaching of Food Provenance for both Key Stage 3 and the Food Provenance section of the GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition.
- Where and how foods are grown, reared, or caught and the primary and secondary stages of processing and production.
- How processing affects the sensory and nutritional properties of ingredients.
- The impact of food and food security on the environment, local and global markets and communities.
- Technological developments that claim to support better health and food production, including fortification and modified foods with health benefits and the efficacy of these
The theme provides:
- Multimedia Interactive Lessons for pupils which feature
- An entry point video which asks “Is 5 A Day Killing the planet?
- Videos telling the 4 Eat Well Guide Food Stories.
- Pupil Workbooks linked to each food story, which are self-marking.
- Videos to use after they have done the food stories which develop understanding of today’s food problems and food sustainability.
- Scheme of Work downloadable as pdf or Word for you to edit
- Lesson plans. Electronic / on screen
Theme is free to use – just log in as a guest....