Are plants alive?
Are plants Alive?
Todays learning: (WALT)Science
- Review knowledge of animals as living things.
- Discuss if plants do any of the things animals do and are living things.
Understand where food comes from
Key human features, including: city, town, village, factory, farm, house, office, port, harbour and shop
2e to realise that people and other living things have needs, and that they have responsibilities to meet them.
Lesson Activities / Tasks
VIDEO: Are plants alive:
Pupils Workbook - 'Plants - what use are they?'
- Watch video - dialog below
- Review children’s knowledge of plants as living things by asking them question:
- How many plants can you name? / What plants can you see from the window?
- Are they all living?
- How do you know?
- Complete relevant section of pupil work book
- Do quiz for first section answers…
- What are some of the things all animals do? - Watch and see if you can say / remember?
- Well all animals, pooh, eat, move grow have babies (reproduce )
- Because they do this we say they are alive
- But what about plants?
- Do plants eat? Have you ever seen a plant pooh?
- Do plants move? We actually if you watch a sunflower for a day it will turn its flower to follow the sun as it moves across the sky.
- Do plants reproduce or make new plants?
- Do plants grow?
- If we are not sure perhaps if you grow and care for some plants you could return to this question and answer it better then?
- Do you think farmers look after the plants they grow in their fields or greenhouses?
- Video: Are plants alive?
- Pupil Work book: Plants - What use are they?
This is really just an introduction to the 'Plants - What use are they?' theme and asks some questions to get pupils thinking about plants and how important they are to use. These points will all be covered in more detail in following lessons.