Yr 1-2 Are your pets really alive?
Entry Point - Are all your pets really alive?
1 How can you tell if something is really alive?
2. What is poo made of?
3. What do animals use food for?
4. Do animals change?
5. What do young animals need?
What is poo made of?
What is poo made of?
Todays learning: (WALT)
- Find out about and describe the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival (water, food and air)
- That we need to eat and drink to stay alive.
- To record their ideas about foods using drawings and charts.
- Describe how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals, using the idea of a simple food chain, and identify and name different sources of food
- Identify and name a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores
Understand where food comes from
Key human features, including: city, town, village, factory, farm, house, office, port, harbour and shop
2e to realise that people and other living things have needs, and that they have responsibilities to meet them.
Lesson Activities / Tasks
VIDEO What is poo made of?
- Dialog for video:
- So all animals poo; but what is poo made of
- Well poo is made of water and food your body does not need.
- So if all animals poo and poo is made of water and food your body does not need any more
- So what else does that mean all animals do?
- Watch these animals here and see what they are all doing
- Animals all....Feed
- What do animals feed on?
- Some animals just feed on plants like these......
- Animals which feed on plants are call HERBIVORES
- Other animals feed on animals, that have eaten plants.....
- Animals which eat other animals are called CARNIVORES
- A few animals eat both plants and other animals - like pigs and humans.
- Animals which eat both meat and plants are called OMNIVORES
- Discuss any questions from video - like why where humans in video? Also animals like insects which some pupils may not think of as animals either!
- Do diagram of things animals do.... eg BUILD UP OVER NEXT FEW LESSONS pupils draw animals doing each thing on and learn words etc
- Could do as large wall display with each pupil doing drawing for....
- FEED could be split into CARNIVORE; HERBIVORE; OMNIVORE
- Complete first section of pupil work book
- Do quiz for first section answers…
- Identify that humans and other animals need food and drink to stay alive and identify some foods eaten by humans and other animals in charts or drawings.